Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Train Cake


Here's my little guy's first birthday cake. I got the idea from looking at a bunch of pictures of train cakes on Google images. Anyway, here's how I did it:

Train Tracks:
I made chocolate cake cookies (recipe in previous post) and instead of making individual cookies, I made one giant cookie and then cut it into strips with a pizza cutter. I outlines the tracks with chocolate frosting (I just added baking chocolate to the buttercream frosting to turn it brown), and made the "dirt" from what was left of the cake cookie and bread crumbs. The light on the front of the engine is half of an oreo.

Cake:
I will admit that I'm totally a cheater and used 2 Betty Crocker cake mixes. I baked them in mini loaf pans, and then froze them so that they would be easier to cut and decorate. The engine was made of 2 mini loafs and a barrel. For the barrel, I baked some of the cake batter in a chili can (greased really well). The animal cage just has pretzels for the bars, and an iced graham cracker for the roof.

Buttercream Frosting:
(from http://itsdinnertime2.blogspot.com/search/label/Cakes)

1 C unsalted butter
2 T vanilla extract
2 T milk
4 C powdered sugar

No comments: